Nottingham UCU to strike for two months and start marking boycott

University faces major escalation of industrial action after putting 2,700 people at risk of redundancy

Published on
May 20, 2026
Last updated
May 20, 2026
The Trent Building, part of Nottingham University in Nottingham, England
Source: iStock/PeterJamesSampson

Staff at the University of Nottingham are set to go on strike for two months and begin a marking boycott in a dramatic escalation of their campaign against planned job cuts at the institution.

Nottingham has announced a major transformation plan that will see it shed 608 jobs, with 2,700 staff put at risk, on top of 350 roles cut from the institution last year – one of the most severe restructures in the sector during its current financial crisis.

The university has indicated that without such cuts, it would run out of money by 2031, and the announcement comes after it reported an £85 million deficit in its most recent financial accounts.

On 20 May the university’s UCU branch said it will take 61 days of strike action from Monday 1 June to Friday 31 July, on top of a pre-scheduled strike day in May.

ADVERTISEMENT

The union has also begun a marking and assessment boycott, which will see its members refuse to carry out all assessment duties, potentially delaying student graduations planned for this summer.

Lopa Leach, branch president, said it was “terribly sad” the union has been forced into this position, “but management’s unwillingness to change its destructive course leaves us with no alternative. We fight for staff jobs, student learning conditions and the very survival of the university as we know it.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In a recent interviewɾٳTimes Higher Education, Nottingham’s vice-chancellor, Jane Norman, said while the scale of cuts was “not easy”, she maintained that the transformation was “exciting” for the university, and a “huge opportunity”.

A spokesperson for Nottingham said: “While we respect our employees' right to take industrial action, the fact this is being done to create maximum disruption for our students at an already stressful time is really disappointing.

“While many of our students will be unaffected by this action, we understand this will cause concern and want to reassure them we have clear procedures and support in place to minimise any disruption.

“These are still proposals which are subject to meaningful consultation with the unions. Nothing will be finalised or implemented until a final Business Case is approved by Council in the autumn.”

ADVERTISEMENT

juliette.rowsell@timeshighereducation.com

Register to continue

Why register?

  • Registration is free and only takes a moment
  • Once registered, you can read 3 articles a month
  • Sign up for our newsletter
Please
or
to read this article.

Related articles

Reader's comments (2)

So, the going-rate as compensation from the U to the S where there is beach of the U-S contract by way of delayed assessment/award of Finals results is £500 per customer. Extra compensation due if any students lose teaching - although guess not much of that happens for most UGs during June. Still a chunky bill for the U which can be partly covered by docking the pay of the strikers on the basis of part-performance or even the U refusing to accept part-performance and docking all pay.
new
Need to sack all the senior management team including VC disastrous decision making and incompetence. Next cull the underperforming bureacrats and academics.

Sponsored

Featured jobs

See all jobs
ADVERTISEMENT